Steps for opting out of the WA Cares Fund
If you meet the criteria and want to apply for a permanent exemption to the state’s long-term care program, the WA Cares Fund, and associated payroll deduction that begins in January 2022, follow the steps below:
- You must have purchased qualifying private long-term care insurance before Nov. 1, 2021.
- Apply for an exemption on the WA Cares Fund website.
- If your application is approved by the Employment Security Department (ESD), they will send you an exemption approval letter.
- You must present your exemption approval letter to all current and future employers. The ESD does not notify employers.
- Submit a copy of your exemption approval letter and your nine-digit PeopleSoft ID number to King County Central Payroll:
- Email to: WA.Cares.Exemption.Letters@kingcounty.gov. (Note: Questions about the WA Cares program should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.)
- Mail to: 401 Fifth Ave., Mailstop CNK-HR-0230, Seattle, WA 98104
According to state law, your exemption will take effect on the first day of the following quarter. Until then, the deduction will continue to be taken out of your paycheck. State law does not allow refunds for any premiums already paid.
The WA Cares Fund is administered by the ESD and the Department of Social and Health Services. King County does not administer any part of the program beyond collecting premiums via payroll deduction and reporting employee pay and hours to ESD.