In January, eligible PERS 2 members can switch to PERS 3
Each January, certain members of Public Employees’ Retirement System (PERS) Plan 2 have the opportunity to transfer to PERS Plan 3. You are eligible to transfer to Plan 3 if you meet all of the following criteria:
- You enrolled in PERS Plan 2 before Sept. 1, 2002.
- You are currently in an eligible position.
- You will earn service credit in January.
Here’s how to switch:
- Use the resources on the DRS website to help you decide if transferring to Plan 3 is right for you.
- Complete a DRS Member Transfer Form and return it by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail by Jan. 31 to:
King County Benefits, Payroll and Retirement Operations
401 Fifth Avenue
Chinook Building, CNK-ES-0230
Seattle, WA 98104
If you transfer to PERS Plan 3, you cannot return to PERS Plan 2. You should see the change on your payment advice in February 2021. For more information, go to the DRS website or call DRS at 360-664-7000 or 800-547-6657.