Upcoming construction: 6th Ave paving project
The Seattle Department of Transportation (SDOT) is planning to repave 6th Ave between Stewart St and Yesler Way. E
ach year, Seattle rehabilitates arterial streets to make them safer and more comfortable to travel on and to extend their useful life. We anticipate major construction will begin as soon as spring 2018 and take 4 months to complete. In the meantime, repairs and replacements of any deficient curb ramps will start as soon as October of this year.
This project was selected and prioritized based on pavement condition, traffic volume, opportunities to improve the roadway’s operations, and more. Additionally, keeping our transportation system in a state of good repair helps lower the cost of future maintenance.
The project includes:
- Repair the underlying base asphalt and identify areas where full reconstruction is necessary
- Reconstruct the curb lane and curb ramps, and repair sidewalk, at select locations on both sides of the street
- Grind down existing pavement and repave the street from curb to curb
- Install a rapid flashing beacon to improve safety for those crossing the Marion St intersection
- Replace traffic detection sensors
Details about the construction schedule and sequencing of construction will be available closer to the start of construction.
For more information visit http://www.seattle.gov/transportation/pave_6th.htm