How to wear a cloth face mask
King County supports employees who may choose to wear a cloth face mask while they are working. If you voluntarily choose to wear a cloth face mask, please carefully review and follow this guidance:
Cloth face mask should—
- Fit snugly but comfortably against the side of the face
- Be secured with ties or ear loops
- Include multiple layers of fabric
- Allow for breathing without restriction
- Be able to be laundered and machine dried without damage or change to shape
While wearing your cloth face mask –
- Avoid touching the mask to make an adjustment. If you do touch your mask, wash your hands.
- Replace the cloth face mask as soon as it becomes damp from your breathing. A damp covering can become a breeding ground for bacteria and viruses.
How does one safely remove a used cloth face mask?
- Individuals should be careful not to touch their eyes, nose, and mouth when removing their face mask and wash hands immediately after removing.
- Do not place a dirty cloth face covering in your purse or pocket. Place your dirty covering in a paper bag or zip lock bag.
Should cloth face mask be washed or otherwise cleaned regularly? How regularly?
- They should be routinely washed depending on the frequency of use.
How does one safely sterilize/clean a cloth face mask?
- A washing machine should suffice in properly washing a face mask.
The CDC has created DIY-cloth-face-covering-instructions-CDC.