Making a more welcoming downtown civic campus
Updated Sept. 22, 2022
As more employees return to downtown workspaces, additional patrols by King County Sheriff’s Office (KCSO) deputies around the downtown civic campus are making the area a more welcoming space for employees and community members.
Sheriff’s deputies are providing regular patrols on foot and bicycle between 7 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday to Friday.
The three priorities for these patrols are:
- Keep all people safe
- Ensure clear access to buildings and sidewalks for all
- Assist any person in crisis.
In addition to public safety, these deputies and sergeants have also helped people who are returning downtown for work and visiting with things like directions to local businesses and landmarks, and where to find parking. Members of the community and County employees have expressed their appreciation for the hard work and presence of these deputies.
The KCSO patrols are part of a number of safety and custodial enhancements across King County worksites, including:
- Facilities Management Division (FMD) Security Officers conducting exterior perimeter patrols of the downtown campus
- Trash and general clean-up each morning, with pressure washing three times per week. Custodial staff are also on-call during normal hours to respond to cleaning incidents as needed
- Three security officers now assigned to the King Street Center, with exterior clean-up conducted daily, and pressure washing three times per week.
- Additional security enhancements to be implemented at the Downtown Public Health Clinic in the coming weeks.
In addition, the City Hall Park Neighborhood Outreach Team, a one-of-a-kind program funded through the Behavioral Health and Recovery Division (BHRD) within the Department of Community and Human Services (DCHS), is assisting unsheltered neighbors around City Hall Park. The eight-person team was created to support unsheltered people around City Hall Park with access to shelter and housing, as well as helping people in crisis.
For more information on employee safety programs and resources, check out the Future of Work Personal Safety at Work intranet page (employee access only).