COVID-19 Child Care Reimbursement Program now available
A new temporary program will provide $500 to $5,000 tax-free to those in the Regular Employee Benefits Group to reimburse them for child care provided during the 2020/2021 school year.
The COVID-19 Child Care Reimbursement Program was created by King County management and unions in the Joint Labor Management Insurance Committee (JLMIC) in response to the overwhelming impacts of COVID-19 on working parents. It is funded with $9M from the Protected Fund Reserve of the JLMIC.
Who can participate?
If you are enrolled in the Regular Employee Benefits Plan, you can be reimbursed for child care expenses provided for children 12 or younger and children 13 or older with documented special needs, such as a diagnosed medical disability or an Individualized Education Program (IEP). This includes your children, stepchildren, foster children, or children for whom you are the legal guardian.
For complete details, go to Eligible employees and children.
How the program works
- You pay for covered services, then submit a claim with receipts to the program administrator at Navia Benefit Solutions or use a paper claim form.
- The total available reimbursement amount ranges from $500 to $5,000 per child and is based on your King County income. Employees who earn lower salaries or wages are eligible to receive higher payments. If you earn less than $80,00 per year, you may receive up to the program maximum of $5,000 per child. If you earn more than $80,000, you are eligible for lower amounts. Log in to Navia Benefit Solutions to see your maximum eligible reimbursement amount.
- Child care services provided from Sept. 1, 2020 to June 30, 2021, are eligible for reimbursement.
- Covered expenses include payments to both licensed and unlicensed child care providers, including preschools, school-age programs, nannies, au pairs, tutors, extended family members (such as, an aunt, uncle, or grandparent), friends, and neighbors. For details about what’s covered, go to Eligible Expenses.
- Child care expenses incurred during the 2020-2021 school year, Sept. 1, 2020 – June 30, 2021, are eligible for reimbursement.
- The program ends on the earlier of the following dates:
- June 30, 2021
- The date that program funding is exhausted
- The date that the federally-declared national disaster for COVID-19 ends
- For details and claims submission deadlines, go to Program dates.
If you have eligible children covered on your King County medical plan, you should receive a welcome email this week from Navia Benefit Solutions with account access and claim submission instructions. Employees who don’t have a King County email address will receive a letter in the mail.