Please take a moment to ensure you are prepared for winter weather at home:
- Make an emergency plan and assemble an emergency kit.
- Buy flood insurance now if you live in an area prone to flooding. It takes 30 days for a policy to take effect. Review your current policy; a standard insurance policy typically doesn’t cover flood damage.
- Have a plan to relocate your family and any pets or livestock out of harm’s way.
- Purchase an inexpensive battery-operated or hand-crank radio and fresh batteries so you can receive urgent news day and night even in a power outage.
- Bookmark the King County Flood Warning System webpage to get current flood data. Monitor area news media for information if severe weather is predicted.
- Listen for alerts about evacuation routes or find the latest evacuation route information.
- Monitor local road conditions and obey closure signs. Driving or walking through standing water is the leading cause of flood-related deaths.
- Multilingual documents about personal preparedness are available in many different languages. Please share this with family or friends who may speak languages other than English.